Author Topic: Travel advice for germany  (Read 1668 times)

Offline AIR Sigram

Travel advice for germany
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:34:41 pm »
I'm planning a study trip to Potsdam and I have to guestimate living costs.

Question is what are the groceries cost per month for a student ?

And what is the rent prices like for students ?

Other question might be, any other advice that a foreign visitor should know ?

Offline TGRAD Cat Evergreen

Re: Travel advice for germany
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 10:47:24 am »
Don't do any Nazi stuff (nazi salute or something like this), you could end up in jail otherwise.

I can't tell you much about the living costs in Potsdam but I would advise you to use your student discounts to get train tickets. This is more or less the cheapest way to visit the rest of germany/europe.

Offline -D R- Tarri

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:10:50 pm »
I'm planning a study trip to Potsdam and I have to guestimate living costs.

Question is what are the groceries cost per month for a student ?

And what is the rent prices like for students ?

Where are you from?

http://www.wg-gesucht.de/ <-- 6 years ago this was the place to find a room with other students. Not sure if it still is, not a student anymore :)

Germany is very cheap if it comes to food (if you buy at a discounter like a peasant). Also fast-food (like Döner) tends to be cheap.

As it is in eastern Germany I guess that the living costs arent high. But I don't know Potsdam.

Offline VANIS Greg DaimYo

• AT Auxiliaries
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 02:32:12 pm »
Potsdam is basically the fancy suburb of Berlin. :D

Lots of students around.

Rent prices went up quite a bit over the last decade, but you should still be able to get something at a reasonable rate (like 500 Euro for a small to medium sized flat).

Train ride to and from Berlin is half an hour, so if you just plan to study in Potsdam and consider living in Berlin, that is quite doable and that's probably what I'd do, but I really like Berlin and have family there.

As Tarri said, basic living costs are quite low. You should be able to get around a month with 300 Euro, if you're scraping the barrels.

Offline VANIS Soraya Kha'marr

• Fleet Command
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 02:56:22 pm »
Potsdam is pretty pricy compared to Berlin; if you're content to travel a few minutes you're probably better off staying a bit farther into town.

Offline AIR Sigram

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 08:05:29 pm »
Yeah thanks for info so far.

To Tarri, Im from South Africa and was offered the chance to go work in a lab in the Max Planck Institute so as to learn how to use their equipment to measure a sugar with equipment we don't have in South Africa.

Basically trying to figure out how much my travel bursary will be able to cover for the time I am spending there 4 to 5 months I was told.

For example as a student my food bill came out to R1300 to R1500 per month which would be 90.32 to 104.21 euro. So I am trying to see if sites like this https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Germany are accurate in telling me to up my bills by 50%.

500 euro rent doesn't sound to bad if that is true, was expecting 650 to 700. I'll have to pay some amount out of my own pocket since travel bursary might not cover whole trip, but trying to work out how much I am paying out of my own pocket.

Not really planning a tourist trip, more like planning investment to learn new skill and be able to say I learned techniques in Germany with high tech equipment.

Offline VANIS Soraya Kha'marr

• Fleet Command
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 09:12:50 pm »
Those figures from Numbeo are pretty accurate for the most part for what it's worth.

Offline DCON. ReeeZaaa

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 09:54:06 am »
i'd say around 300 / 400€ + 500eu rent would cover everything for a normal students life. it obviously depends on your lifestyle.   

Offline -D R- Tarri

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 02:04:08 pm »
As you are going to a Max Planck institute, there should be quite a lot of PhD students working there. They might help you find a cheap room. If you know them already, ask them. (I worked at a Fraunhofer institute and we always got mails asking if someone has a room for some guest students, MPI should be similar)

Often people a renting rooms for a limited time if they go abroad (called Zwischenmiete in German), so one of those might fit you well.

If you are there for some time, then I recommend to travel. Should be pretty cheap too if you use buses and youth hostels :).

Offline VANIS Kass Boor

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 05:27:20 pm »
If you also want to see something of europe, air-travel is actually incredibly cheap compared to other ways of transportation.
If you make sure to fly on non-standard days.

For instance, a friday-sunday trip to another big city will be quite expensive. If you can make it like a Thursday to Monday trip you can fly very cheap, often for less then €100,-- for a two way trip.

Offline DCON. Pandoralica

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 05:41:26 pm »
If you also want to see something of europe, air-travel is actually incredibly cheap compared to other ways of transportation.
If you make sure to fly on non-standard days.

For instance, a friday-sunday trip to another big city will be quite expensive. If you can make it like a Thursday to Monday trip you can fly very cheap, often for less then €100,-- for a two way trip.

can confirm... just made a trip to london and in total travel costs were around 60€ (thats both flights london<->memmingen(close to munich) + train/bus connections to and from airports)

Offline VANIS N'aryl

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 08:12:51 pm »
Most important piece of equipment you need here in Potsdam is a bike, especially in the city centre.  ;)

The institute is in Golm though, which is a like a science village outside of the "real" city. There are a lot of dorms out there, since the university also has a campus in Golm.
There's a good connection via bus and train to Golm so everything close to the Potsdam main station, and thus everything close to the S7 S-Bahn in Berlin is doable.
Berlin is probably cheaper rent wise if you're OK with a 1h commute to the institute. If you're a student, you usually get "free" public transportation, so you don't need to worry about these costs.