Author Topic: What are you reading atm? (...and book recommendations in general)  (Read 16368 times)

Offline VANIS Mattasaurus

Re: What are you reading atm? (...and book recommendations in general)
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 08:50:30 am »
My highly recommended Sci-fi reads - (Good things come in threes  :D )

Orphans of Earth Trilogy
Evergence Trilogy

Both written by Sean Willaims and Shane Dix

Astropolis Trilogy
Sean Williams

I also really enjoyed
The Nights Dawn and The Void trilogies by Peter F Hamilton

Offline AIR Baron Blackadder

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 07:03:58 pm »
A Read a huge amount, a few good suggestions would be :

Historical Books -
The Parthian by Peter Darman (first in a series of three)
Emperor by Conn Iggulden (first in a series of Five)

Fantasy -
The Magician by Raymond E. Feist (first in s series of three)

Sci Fi -
Swarm by B.V Larson (first in a series of Ten)
Moon Wreck (Slaver Wars) by Raymond L. Weil (first in a series of Seven)

Alternate Histroy -
The Whale has Wings by David Row (first in a series of three)

Would also agree with some of the other books listed, I also liked The Thrawn Trilogy and Terry Pratchet is one of the funniest writers ever, Mort is my favourite.

Offline VANIS Bryson McRock

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 07:05:49 am »
Regarding my readings I am actually more into fantasy than space ships and I just found out my most favourits ("Götterkriege" by Richard Schwartz and the "Zwerge" Series by Markus Heitz) seam to be only german and not translated...

In English I am reading the Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik which is in a parallel universe to ours just by the detail that there are Dragons and they are like cool horses in the time of the napolean wars.. At least it is this way until the dragon Temeraire starts to work on some changes :)
In the 5th or 6th book it starts drifting away from actual happened history and get more into what could have happened (Napoleon actualy conquers Britain partly) but the funniest aspect of this book is the Dragon Temeraire.

if you are into dragons another book I recomend is the Eragon series, which is in book form better than the movie was (not a surprise)

Scifi wise I like the Battletech universe starting from the origins up to the most reason Mechwarrior the dark age series..

Offline AIR Joe Odinson

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 08:43:33 am »
I am looking for an English copy of The Ringbearer. I'm not sure of the author but it was written in Russia. It is suppose to be the Lord of the Rings but from the viewpoint of Mordor. About how Mordor is on the cusp of an industrial revolution and the West is populated by fairy creatures and people who believe in witchcraft and magic and false gods.

Would be interesting to read but I am sure it is filled with propaganda.

Offline 07NBD Milann Nightwind

• Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 01:37:15 pm »
On the topic of alternative history and political stuff, I want to recommend Fatherland by Robert Harris.
It's set in the 1960s Germany but where the nazis won the war and is basically a detective thriller kind of book. I like how they've not made it into some sort of "nazis won so everyone is now evil" thing, but rather show a normal society with their own flavour and their own dark past (like any society has but we like to forget).
There's a movie based on this book as well but they changed the plot quite a bit so it's two different stories after the buildup. I prefer the book's version - better characters in it too. :)
Fun fact: I found this book by accidentally sitting on it when visiting a corp mate. XD

Offline DCON. Cuchulin

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 04:14:28 pm »
Something that I would definately recommend for SciFi ethusiast like myself:

The Orbit Hospital Series (12 Books all in all) by James White

Its kinda like a mixture of House and maybe ER but in Space :D One of the very few SciFi series out there that was written with a completely pacifistic mindset and manages to still be a fun and compelling read all the time. At least in my opinion. Noone saving the world or fighting against eternal evil in there...but its realy not needed. Also Mr. White puts A LOT of effort into describing probably more than a dozend alien species that are all very different from humans.

For fans of the complete opposite (meaning shoot first...ask no questions...) I recommend the Horus Heresy Series that describes the Beginnings of the Warhammer 40k universe. The individual books differ quite a bit in style, but thankfully not so much in quality.

Some other favorites of mine are:

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville (for the SteamPunk ethusiast)
The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke

Happy Reading :)

Offline DCON. ReeeZaaa

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 10:32:53 am »
Due to the lack of time, I'm still reading "the wheel of time" and "Die Chronik der Unsterblichen".
I can take AGES to read books since I tend to read multiple ones at the same time and my favourites require peace and quiet and good mood so the ones I love the most have a tendency to take longer. :P
My all time favourites ever are The Wheel of Time books which I must admit I started reading more than 15 years ago. XD Still love them and not done with them all yet. :)

funny, i finished the wheel of time series when the last book came out in 2013. took me around 4 years of reading and waiting :) and yeah, i'd also say it's one of my favs.
i read historical novals a lot (all the ken folett stuff e.g. the pillars of the earth, lots of rebecca gablé). that brought me to fantasy after some time (also swords and stuff :) ), but now after the wheel of time series and some other german fantasy novels (markus heitz, bernhard hennen) it's enough of fantasy for the next fw years so i'm trying psycho thrillers now. currently it's jussi adler-olsen with kvinden i buret, german translated ofc :)

Offline VANIS DRACOincarnation

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 07:46:29 pm »
'A fully decompressed synthetic bacteriophage øX174 genome assembled and archived in yeast' by Paul R. Jaschke, released 2012. Pretty good stuff for a lazy evening with a glass of wine!
"Wenn die Gesellschaft in Frieden und Freiheit leben will, dann braucht sie den Beitrag der Nachrichtendienste" W.S.

"[...], dass die Deutschen Privatsphäre etwa so betrachten wie wir Amerikaner vielleicht Meinungs- oder Religionsfreiheit." M.H.

Offline VANIS Malcanis

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 08:33:58 pm »
Just finished Stations Of The Tide by Michael Swanwick. Outstanding book, reminded me of Gene Wolfe's stuff.
I don't give a shit about what you think is wrong with the game.

Offline VANIS Prime FLux

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 09:19:49 pm »
Honorverse serie by David Weber, a spaceship scific version of C. S. Forester´s Hornblower

Offline VANIS Florian Silbereisen

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 08:17:04 am »
'A fully decompressed synthetic bacteriophage øX174 genome assembled and archived in yeast' by Paul R. Jaschke, released 2012. Pretty good stuff for a lazy evening with a glass of wine!

your dirty talk makes me so hot

Offline AIR Korotani

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 03:19:31 pm »
Just finished Templar One minus most of the punctuation. One of these most infuriating things I've had to do, but it was worth it at the end.

Offline SCUZZ Cadence Abergnathy

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:00 pm »
Simon Sinek - Start with why
The Initiative - Statistics Center:
Male to Female Ratio: 1:0

Offline GARST JPOP007

• AT Auxiliaries
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 09:08:23 am »
SiFi - "Genesis" by Thariot

Offline 07NBD Krebskasper

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 12:14:30 pm »
COMIC READERS, ASSEMBLE !
What are these books you speak of? ;)

I like graphical novels aka. comics.
Currently I'm going through the youngest iteration of Infinite Crisis, again, which is pretty awesome.
Mainly because I think the current "The Flash" series is heading that way.

After that... maybe the infinite crisis from 1984, but I don't enjoy the images that much... so we'll see.

So, this is a book reading thread, I've mentioned comics, televsion.. whats missing for the unholy trinity of bookworms...
Right... Audiobooks...

Latest was, "Old Man's war" by John Scalzi, that was fucking amazing...
Before that:
Enders Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

Also pretty awesome...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:16:09 pm by VANIS Krebskasper »