Author Topic: What are you reading atm? (...and book recommendations in general)  (Read 16661 times)

Offline TGRAD Jason Galente

• AT Auxiliaries
Re: What are you reading atm? (...and book recommendations in general)
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2017, 04:58:49 am »
Metro 2033. Awesome book. If you liked the game at all, go get it.

Offline TGRAD Warhead Tamarkus

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2018, 04:44:29 pm »
decent into darkness

a book written by and about the salvage divers in pearl harbor just after the december 7 attack.

excellent read. chilling.

Offline VANIS Poll

• AT Auxiliaries
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2018, 02:04:39 am »
Just finished Fascism A Warning by Madeline Albright I add it to my recommended reading list along with The Devil's Chessboard and The Brothers by David Talbot, The Plot  to Seize the White House By Jules Archer Dark Money By Jane Mayer and Democracy in Chains By Nancy MacLean That's my recommended reading order for anyone just digging into teh subject of why American policies are the way that they are. Confessions of an Enonomic Hitman 1st edition is better than 2nd but are both good as well...

Offline lillith_artenes

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2018, 11:30:25 pm »
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/482116.Game_Set_Match_

A superb classical "spy" series, based in Cold War Britain.

Offline sikandar_cole

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2018, 06:28:47 pm »

Offline arturis_beck

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2018, 12:37:14 am »
2 great books i keep on my kindle. by Douglas Richards, Amped and Wired. he uses a form of Faction that makes it the stories so real they could be maybe true.
Imagine what happens if we could pop a pill and make our intelligence 1000 times what it is now. great reads
the author has several other books ive read and enjoy them all.

Offline gobble_myknob

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2018, 11:56:03 pm »
The Expanse series is absolutely amazing.

Since the majority of INIT. is capable of writing and reading, I was wondering what books you are reading at the moment and what titles are your alltime favorites?

To kickoff the thread here are my first entries:

current read:
The Martian by Andy Weir

genre: sci-fi-thriller
It is basically a Robinson Crusoe story in space.
Finished about 1/4 now and so far non stop thrilling flavored with fine bits of humor!

Chapter 1

LOG ENTRY: SOL 6
Iím pretty much fucked.
Thatís my considered opinion.
Fucked.
Six days into what should be the greatest two months of my life, and itís turned into a nightmare.

Recommendations:
Passage Trilogy:
The Passage by Justin Cronin
The Twelve by Justin Cronin
The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin (release in 2015)

genre: horror-thriller
When you blend vampires, zombies, the apocalypse, the FBI and a little girl that saves the world, this is what you get!

The story opens in 2016 A.D. (or 5 B.V. in Cronin Count) with the discovery of a virus found in some nasty Bolivian bats that has the disagreeable effect of transforming you into a rampaging, blood-drinking beast that glows in the dark. But don't call them vampires, they're virals. You'd think that the sensible response to this discovery would be to send in the military to napalm the bloody jungle, but when was the military ever sensible in apocalyptic fiction? No, the army thinks the whole thing is totally awesome and wants to create a new breed of soldiers by reengineering the virus to give the infected superhuman strength and eternal life and promptly begins the usual "let's-create-indestructible-super-soldiers" experiments on death row inmates they've shipped to super-secret underground labs in Colorado to start Project NOAH. Predictably, the project goes kablooey: things aren't exactly working out as planned with the prisoners, to put it mildly. Enter Amy Bellafonte, a six-year-old orphan child who may or may not hold the key to save the project. Morally conflicted FBI Agent Brad Wolgast, is ordered to locate and transport her to Colorado because the military's medicine men got the feeling that the virus's development might be easier to control and direct in the developing system of a child. But the military will never know the effects of the virus on Amy - which are indeed profoundly different - once all hell breaks loose.

waiting for the threadnought...

Offline idris_kaptan

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2018, 02:07:10 pm »
I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 atm and then the next one's probably will be Call of Cthulhu. I'd recommend if you're haven't read it and have an interest in sci-fi.

Offline cadence_abergnathy

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2018, 07:30:10 pm »
The Expanse series is absolutely amazing.

It absolutely is! Love the tv show too!

Offline soul_enviousity

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2018, 02:46:42 pm »
I read; Init Forums, The Graduates Forums, Denver Broncos Reddit, and Eve Reddit... other than that Emails.  :laugh:

Offline barukor

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2018, 11:10:17 am »
Finally getting around to reading The Man in the High Castle from Philip Dick.

Offline jason_galente

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2019, 05:38:53 am »
Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor

I highly recommend the audiobook so you can hear a posh elder English gentleman read out Roman graffiti.

"Hey Flavius, you suck cock."