Author Topic: What are you reading atm? (...and book recommendations in general)  (Read 15966 times)

Offline SCUZZ Cadence Abergnathy

Since the majority of INIT. is capable of writing and reading, I was wondering what books you are reading at the moment and what titles are your alltime favorites?

To kickoff the thread here are my first entries:

current read:
The Martian by Andy Weir

genre: sci-fi-thriller
It is basically a Robinson Crusoe story in space.
Finished about 1/4 now and so far non stop thrilling flavored with fine bits of humor!

Chapter 1

LOG ENTRY: SOL 6
Iím pretty much fucked.
Thatís my considered opinion.
Fucked.
Six days into what should be the greatest two months of my life, and itís turned into a nightmare.

Recommendations:
Passage Trilogy:
The Passage by Justin Cronin
The Twelve by Justin Cronin
The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin (release in 2015)

genre: horror-thriller
When you blend vampires, zombies, the apocalypse, the FBI and a little girl that saves the world, this is what you get!

The story opens in 2016 A.D. (or 5 B.V. in Cronin Count) with the discovery of a virus found in some nasty Bolivian bats that has the disagreeable effect of transforming you into a rampaging, blood-drinking beast that glows in the dark. But don't call them vampires, they're virals. You'd think that the sensible response to this discovery would be to send in the military to napalm the bloody jungle, but when was the military ever sensible in apocalyptic fiction? No, the army thinks the whole thing is totally awesome and wants to create a new breed of soldiers by reengineering the virus to give the infected superhuman strength and eternal life and promptly begins the usual "let's-create-indestructible-super-soldiers" experiments on death row inmates they've shipped to super-secret underground labs in Colorado to start Project NOAH. Predictably, the project goes kablooey: things aren't exactly working out as planned with the prisoners, to put it mildly. Enter Amy Bellafonte, a six-year-old orphan child who may or may not hold the key to save the project. Morally conflicted FBI Agent Brad Wolgast, is ordered to locate and transport her to Colorado because the military's medicine men got the feeling that the virus's development might be easier to control and direct in the developing system of a child. But the military will never know the effects of the virus on Amy - which are indeed profoundly different - once all hell breaks loose.

waiting for the threadnought...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 06:08:03 am by GARST Cadence Abergnathy »
The Initiative - Statistics Center:
Male to Female Ratio: 1:0

Offline AIR Joe Odinson

Re: What are you reading atm? (...and book recommendations in general)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 07:12:19 am »
Hyperion
Author: Dan Simmons

The first book of the trilogy, written almost like a Canterbury Tales in space.

Recommendations:

Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind
Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:18:21 am by AIR Joe Odinson »

Offline highfield

• Voytek Biroshak Antique Calculators
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:00:23 am »
The Origins of Political Order
Author: Francis Fukuyama

As the title describes.

Will amend when I'm not on mobile.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 09:13:07 am »
Hyperion
Author: Dan Simmons

Oh yeah! Finished Endymion (the sequel to Hyperion) some months ago! The writing style is a bit different compared to Hyperion but I enjoyed it even more than the first one! Though... had a good guess about the ending and almost hated reading as the inevitable climax came closer and closer!

Offline VANIS S0zi0P4th

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:24:35 am »
Currently i am reading the forum's

Offline VANIS To0bE

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 10:28:35 am »
After i watched the Movie i will start reading The Maze Runner Trilogy from James Dashner.
Looks like a cool Story.

Offline 07NBD Milann Nightwind

• Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 12:06:05 pm »
Currently reading a book with the lovely title The Complete Idiot's Guide To String Theory. XD Those books are pretty nice though so don't be put off by the title, just like the For Dummies books (this is in the same style).

Last one I finished was I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. I read it cause I've seen the film and wondered if they went more into something I thought they hinted about there but never explored. Turns out it's pretty much a completely different story from the film. Would recommend.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:13:23 pm »
Finished "The Martian", awesome! Looking forward to the movie adaption directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon!
Just downloaded "Sword of Truth" by Terry Goodkind on my kindle, will start reading tonight!
Regarding "I am Legend", I had mixed feelings about the movie... if the book is different i might give it a try!

Offline AIR Joe Odinson

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 01:59:22 am »
Finished "The Martian", awesome! Looking forward to the movie adaption directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon!
Just downloaded "Sword of Truth" by Terry Goodkind on my kindle, will start reading tonight!
Regarding "I am Legend", I had mixed feelings about the movie... if the book is different i might give it a try!

I will warn you that if you read the entire Sword of Truth series books 5 (Soul of Fire) and book 7 (The Pillars of Creation) were a little boring for me to get through. Not that they were terrible books just a little dry.

Offline AIR Joe Odinson

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 02:10:04 am »
I will like to add to the list nearly every Stars Wars book out there. I'm a huge Star Wars fan.

Ones that stick out would be

The Thrawn Trilogy and The Hand of Thrawn Duology by Timothy Zahn
The X-Wing Series by multiple authors -- Is literally just about Rogue Squadron flying around blowing things up some great space battles.
The New Jedi Order by Multiple Authors -- About a new alien race coming from outside of the galaxy who don't exist inside the realm of the Force. Everything they use is alive from their armor to their spaceships (think Zerg from Starcraft) Very bloody and action packed.
The Game of Thrones by George R Martin -- If you watched the show and enjoyed it you should enjoy the books. So much detail and long reads. The character building is wonderfully done.
Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

I'll add more later. I love reading!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:08:40 am by AIR Joe Odinson »

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 05:29:49 am »
If you love Star Wars you have to read the Darth Bane Trilogy:

Path of Destruction
Rule of Two
Dynasty of Evil

written by Drew Karpyshyn and are by far the best I've ever read in the Star Wars Universe!
If you don't know the author, he used to work for Bioware and was main writer for Baldurs Gate, KotoR and Mass Effect!

DCON. Meruhe Daidra

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 08:44:03 am »
Due to the lack of time, I'm still reading "the wheel of time" and "Die Chronik der Unsterblichen".

Offline 07NBD Milann Nightwind

• Cabinet
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 10:34:31 pm »
Due to the lack of time, I'm still reading "the wheel of time" and "Die Chronik der Unsterblichen".
I can take AGES to read books since I tend to read multiple ones at the same time and my favourites require peace and quiet and good mood so the ones I love the most have a tendency to take longer. :P
My all time favourites ever are The Wheel of Time books which I must admit I started reading more than 15 years ago. XD Still love them and not done with them all yet. :)

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 06:21:15 am »
Wondering why nobody mentioned the Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett.
"Thief of Time" and "Night Watch" are my personal favorites, but you should only read them if you
have read the preceding novels of the DEATH and City Watch Storyarcs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

Offline VANIS Icognito theReal

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 07:32:44 am »
last read:
Dean Abbet, Warhammer 40k, the storycompendium of Inquisitor Giddeon Ravenor.
english, good to read like most warhammer novels if you like blood and gore :) i strongly advise the reading of the fall of horus, a compendium of 6+ books worth reading in english.
(eventho this book has a moar downstyle mood)

today:
The Philosophy of Lao Tsu, german translation, 1982

http://thereal.sticed.com/<-- theReal transports, ingame shopping!